Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hawaii - Day One

For those of you who don't know, Darcy and I just got back from a fabulous week in Hawaii - without the kids (thanks to grandparents who volunteered to babysit!) We flew out on Friday the 7th at 2:00pm on a 6+ hour flight - and my usually motion-sick hubby did great! I found some non-drowsy Gravol and he didn't feel sick at all (which is a minor miracle, considering every other time we've flown he's been completely out of it - and those were only hour-long flights!)!

We got off the plane around 7pm Hawaiian time (9pm here) and one of the first things I noticed (after we walked passed the bus fumes and cigarette smoke) was the smell of the warm tropical sea air. The last time I was anywhere near a warm climate was in California 20 years ago (gosh, that makes me sound OLD!), so I guess I must have recognized the smell from the tropical butterfly room at the aquarium. So glad to finally smell the real thing :-)

It was also amazing how everywhere we went there were open-air buildings. This is our hotel lobby. You can see the trees next to the hotel across the street. So foreign to us on the Wet Coast but perfect for Hawaii!

We hopped on a shuttle bus that took us to our hotel
right across the street from the beach. This was what our room looked like,
and here's the view from our balcony.

That night we walked up and down the main strip and grabbed a very late supper (I think it was about 11pm back home) at Cheeseburger in Paradise, which claimed to have the world's best cheeseburgers, but clearly they've never had mine.

More to come about the rest of the trip.

No comments: