Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat

It's the day all teachers love... Halloween - when all the kids are already reacting to the sugar high they know they're going to get tonight! Yesterday Kaitlyn's teacher asked me if I could bring 24 undecorated cupcakes for their Halloween party today. Being the Super-Mom that I am, I said No Problem. So Kaitlyn and I made cupcakes that afternoon before we went to get Rachael from school.
Then - wouldn't you know it - afer school Rachael said her class was having a party today too, and she needed to bring cupcakes. So we went and made more cupcakes! But these ones needed to be decorated. After all that (not to mention the field trip I went on with Rachael before lunch and the trip to Superstore to get more icing) I was exhausted. I know it doesn't really sound like a whole lot (don't forget about driving to school and back 3 times and making lunch and supper!), but the baby-making thing really wears me out these days. So Daddy made orange icing for Rachael's cupcakes. Then after supper I found the last few remnants of energy and iced the cupcakes to look like pumpkins. Being so pregnant-brained these days I didn't notice it was gel icing I'd got for the faces, but it still worked out ok. I almost didn't take a picture, after seeing all those beautiful cakes on other blogs (you know who you are!) but whatever. The kids don't care and this icing actually tastes good!
I was with Kaitlyn's class all morning today along with several other Moms. Between the French and English kindergarten classes we had about 15 centres set up for all the kids to go to - from face painting (where I was stationed) to cupcake decorating; jellybean pattern-making (and getting to eat them after) to oreo cookie spider-making; mask and hat crafts to pumpkin seed math and playdough. Plus a few others. It was go go go all morning, and the kids loved it! Then after lunch we carved the pumpkin Kaitlyn got from the pumpkin patch on her field trip a few weeks ago. She wanted it to just be a face this year. I don't remember the last time I made just a face, but it was so easy!
And now Daddy's off with the girls trick-or-treating and I'm home handing out candy. Kaitlyn finally decided to be a lion. I think it's because I painted the nose and whiskers on at school this morning. And Rachael dressed up like a bat. I've only had about 5 groups of kids so far, but it's still early. Though I think we'll have a lot of left overs. Candy anyone?

No comments: