Tuesday, March 11, 2008

An Exciting Night On Our Street...

We woke up last night at around 3:30 to hear someone trying to start their car. It obviously wasn't working, but this person kept cranking the engine for about a minute at a time trying to start the thing. Meanwhile we were thinking, "give up already so we can go back to sleep!" They did this about 4 or 5 times, then stopped. That's when the yelling started. Darcy thought it might be our girls calling, so I went and checked on them, but they were asleep. So then I wondered who would be yelling at this time of night. I looked out our living room window to see our neighbours across the street out in their pyjamas looking at something down the street. So I looked too, and a car was on fire! It was parked on the side of the street (fortunately not in a garage!) and it started as a little fire, but then grew quite quickly. The windows and a tire or two blew out but the firemen arrived before it got hot enough to reach the gas tank. Not like in the movies where cars blow up right away. There was a car parked in front of this one and just before the owner moved it, the tail light caught on fire, but I think they were able to get it out right away. At least when the fire truck came it didn't come with the sirens on or they would have woken up the other half of the neighbourhood (namely my kids!). So then we had to listen to this noisy fire truck idling outside our house for at least half an hour. And then the noisy tow truck after that. So we were awake for over an hour in the middle of the night. And being right after the time change, I was more than a little sleepy waking up this morning! I don't think I'll tell the kids about the excitment. I can see Rachael not wanting to ride in a car anymore, or go to sleep, worrying about it happening to our car in the garage.
The moral of the story? If your car isn't going to start, STOP TRYING!!!

No comments: